Slideshow of my time in S. Africa!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hello!

Dear Family and Friends,


Thanks for visiting my blog site! You've now heard that I have recently been selected to serve as an Intern for Grassroot Soccer, joining their fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is an international non-profit organization that is using the power of soccer and community role models to empower African youth with the knowledge, skills and support to live HIV-free. This August, I will begin 12-13 months of service in either Zambia, Malawi, or South Africa. As an Intern, I will be involved with all aspects of the successful delivery of the GRS program – training professional soccer players and other community leaders in the GRS Curriculum; building relationships with private, non-profit, and governmental organizations; designing, monitoring, and evaluating program implementation; fulfilling key operational and administrative duties in GRS offices. I am very excited to use my love of soccer and passion for fundraising to action many youth in Africa.


Part of my responsibility as a Grassroot Soccer intern is to raise $10,000 to support my work. I was recently awarded a $2,000 grant by Emory University's Center for AIDS Research and will be conducting research on HIV/AIDS curriculum during my time in Africa as well as volunteering and working. If you could please help by donating on this page where it says "donate now" and forward this blog along to other family and friends I would greatly appreciate it! :) Also, donations of $250 are tax deductible. For your records, Grassroot Soccer's Federal Tax ID number is #43-1957920. If you have any questions please contact Angela Tucker at (802) 649-2900 or at angelat@grassrootsoccer.org.


Just for an update, I am about a 1/3 of the way there to my $10,000 goal! Please keep helping donate and passing on the word of my cause. Thank you so much again to those of you who have already donated! :)


While the HIV/AIDS epidemic is devastating and desperate, it is entirely preventable and treatable. If humankind is going to conquer this epidemic and other issues of poverty and infectious disease we must invest in our youth; children are the future and Grassroot Soccer is helping them make the difference! Please come back and visit my blog starting in August so I can share stories and photos with you of my time in Africa! Also, please feel free to visit the Grassroot Soccer homepage to learn more about the organization: http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/


Thank you so much for your love, interest and support.


Love,


Annie

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Annie! This is so cool! Be safe down there. -Ryan

Anonymous said...

So glad I caught up with you when you were in MN.
I'll stay tuned.
Martha

Unknown said...

Good luck! Dr. Michael Rogers

Unknown said...

We're really proud of you, Annie. What a great program! Thanks for filling us in. Paul and Diane Venker