Slideshow of my time in S. Africa!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Journey Continues...

Hi all,


Lots to report from South Africa! My life has been very busy here and I am enjoying every minute of it. I spend a fair amount of time in the office but still get to travel to the township of Khayelitsha at least once a week to meet with the coaches who implement our HIV & AIDS curriculum (Skillz). There are 14 coaches in Cape Town and I have started to form close relationships with almost all of them. At the meetings we discuss plans for upcoming events, materials and support they need, and how their interventions are progressing. It is awesome to see how passionate and excited the coaches are about teaching the kids Skillz. It is especially amazing to hear the coaches talk about how much the kids enjoy the Skillz activities and how “cool” they think it is…a true sign that our method of intervention is effective and successful! J


Skillz features a core curriculum of eight 45-minute sessions. It teaches boys and girls day-to-day skills that aid them in living a risk-free life. Topics of Skillz activities include: HIV basics, peer pressure, stigma and discrimination, risk awareness, partner reduction, gender awareness, Voluntary Counseling and Testing, social support, and positive living. One such activity is called “risk field,” where participants dribble a soccer ball in between cones representing HIV-related risks—multiple partners, drug/alcohol abuse, sugar daddies, etc. If one player hits a cone, he and his teammates must complete 3 pushups, showing how the consequences of one person’s risk can not only affect him, but also his friends, family, and community. Other activities follow this same pattern of discovery-based learning—youth learn through active participation, as opposed to the passive “chalk-and-talk” style common among many African public schools. Skillz further aims to encourage increased understanding of and open dialogue about HIV & AIDS, recognizing that silence and stigma are pervasive drivers of the HIV epidemic. Skillz further challenges youth to “Make Your Move” and take action by educating people in their communities and HIV & AIDS.


In the office I am currently working on several different projects. The first one is a DVD Release Party on October 2nd for the Skillz DVD that 20 kids from Harare helped film. The DVD was created as an advanced training tool to improve the coaches’ abilities to educate youth with the Skillz curriculum. It also serves as a method to further instill the edification of the curriculum to the youth. My fellow intern, Allen Bourdon, and I were put in charge of this event so I am really looking forward to seeing the outcome since this is my first big project. We were also able to get an ex-professional soccer player to attend the event and make a speech so it should be a really memorable and exciting experience for the kids (and for me!).


Another one of my projects includes fundraising for FIFA’s Football for Hope Centre. While FIFA donated a considerable amount of money for the centre to be built, there is still not enough in the budget for pavement or trees. As a result, I was put in charge of finding local companies who would be willing to donate these services and products. I was able to get two nurseries to agree to donate trees and shrubbery for the centre. As for the paving, I am waiting to hear back from our architects (AFH-Architects for Humanity) on the specific paving company they would like me to contact since they think the company responsible for paving the World Cup stadiums would be interested in making an in-kind donation to the centre. More to come on that! J


I have also been busy helping plan our Skillz Holiday Program for next week. Skillz Holiday is an intervention type implemented when schools are out for Holiday (what we call Spring Break back in the States). As the schools are out from September 28th-October 2nd, we are hoping to graduate approximately 200 kids from our program just by the end of the week! I helped find two schools to host the event (100 kids at each school). Also, with the financial support of the oil conglomerate, Castrol, we are working hard on setting up a VCT (Voluntary Counseling and Testing Centre) in one of the schools.


One of the most memorable experiences I’ve had since arriving to South Africa was on September 11th when the Cape Town interns were invited to attend a party at the U.S. Consulate General’s house. The event was held to honor the work of U.S. volunteers in South Africa. Alberta Mayberry, the U.S. Consul General, gave a powerful speech (I literally had goose-bumps) recognizing our commitment to serve in South Africa and quoted words from President Obama’s speech made earlier that day. She also awarded each volunteer with a Certificate of Appreciation. The certificate read “for selfless service as an American Volunteer in Cape Town, South Africa, presented on Interfaith (National) Service Day, September 11, 2009”. As I listened to her speech and received my certificate, I realized that I am now apart of a much bigger network of people, not just Americans, but all nationalities, who have decided to spend their time volunteering in South Africa. In my own words, it was a very cool feeling and a unique and amazing experience.


As for my other activities, I joined a gym down the street from my house and started training for the Two Oceans Half-Marathon. I also joined the University of Cape Town’s Club Soccer Team. However, a few weeks ago I tore my meniscus in a soccer tournament at Grassy Park so my marathon training has been put on hold. Right now I am on crutches and in an enormous knee brace (the thing literally takes up my entire leg) but the doctor said I will not need surgery and I should be back running in about 5 weeks which isn’t too bad!


I traveled to Kimberley, South Africa last weekend with my housemates to visit three of our fellow interns who are now stationed there. Despite the 10 hour drive each way, we had a great time! We saw a lot of ostriches and antelope on the drive and, to my surprise, the roads were in excellent condition. I also attended my first professional soccer game in Africa! The South African National Team, Bafana Bafana (“the boys, the boys”) played Madagascar and won 1-0! The stadium holds 20,000 people and was completely packed for the game. Because of my knee injury and the fact that I am on crutches, I got special treatment for the game and was allowed to sit on the ledge literally right next to South Africa’s bench which was pretty awesome. I got some great pictures of the players!


Also, I am still short of my fundraising goal so if you, or anyone you know, may be interested in donating, please pass this along! I would really appreciate it. J



As always, thanks so much for your support!


Love,


Annie

1 comment:

Beca said...

Adot! that looks ridiculous! I'm so proud of you!!! I hope by now your knee is doing much better... hopefully I will get to catch up with you soon
Love you lots.